Saturday, July 13, 2013

ummm...what is wrong with me.  It has been February since my last post. 
It doesn't mean I haven't been busy, maybe just too busy to document anything.  Regardless, venturing beyond just my signs and playing around with some furniture and other decorative items. 

Today I  made a huge frame for an old mirror that I bought for 5 dollars from a friend.  Unfortunately after I  had finished everything I broke the mirror.  AHHHH!  I still love the look and will replace the mirror and move it inside (notice the sad crack at the bottom left corner). 
Here's how it went:
1. Took this sweet frame detail off of the existing mirror.  This mirror was old and scratched up and perfect for what I had in mind.  I am gonna hang on to the trim from the original mirror to spruce up some romantic signs I am making for my bedroom.  Notice the fun detail!
2. Gathered reclaimed material from the barn and built me a frame then added an additional layer of trim  around the edges.  I will cover frame building some other time.
3. Sanded and stained the frame.  I love rolling on the stain and then wiping of the excess with a paper towel. My favorite stain is MINWAX / early American.  I use it A LOT!   
                                                                                     
4. I then rolled my La Fonda turquoise over the scratched and worn spots on the back of the mirror.  That turquoise looks amazing peeking thru,

DONE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment